Sunday, November 04, 2018

All Painted Out....And Pooped!

Well, I finally had to put the paint rollers and brushes down till next spring!
I have painted, sanded and painted some more since August.
I have now run out of suitable painting weather and energy! If I am honest I am happy the weather change has forced me to stop, enough is enough! Green hands and nails plus dusty hair and a dirty face isn't really a good look! Tickety Boo is looking so much better but not completely finished. She looks loved and cared for again so even though I am disappointed I didn't finish her to the standard I wanted,  I am proud of just how much I did get done in between working. Next Spring will be just a few more top coats and I will be happy. The painting I enjoyed the prep not so much but worth it in the end. I have made a promise to myself never, ever to let her get in such a bad state again. Now that I have put all the blood sweat and tears in I will be damned if I will let the upkeep slide again, if I keep on top of it she will never look neglected again. It made me really sad to see her looking scruffy and abandoned! I haven't fought all these years to keep my boat to see her go to rack and ruin!

I am now back on my own mooring and to say I am happy to be back is an understatement! While it is great to have a designated area for prep and painting on the Marina, it was a bit lonely and isolated there, so lovely to be back! I love seeing Tickety all freshly painted with her now cream doors to match her roof, it makes all the hard work of the last couple of months worthwhile...I think!




The Start of the job, a bit of freaking out when I realised the amount of work I had ahead of me!


















                   The rust patches ground down to the metal and treated before undercoat.                                                                                                        


  


The first side undercoated and feeling a bit more relaxed about the whole thing, still slightly overwhelmed. You only realise how big your boat is when you start to paint!!
             
The roof sanded undercoated and filled ready for another undercoat

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Now, this bit I enjoyed, the first glimpse of the colour going on...gives you the incentive to carry on! I was nervous about the colour as I had it mixed and it wasn't cheap so I was relieved I loved the colour!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Tickety Boo's bow looking tatty and weathered.                     




              A bit alarming when the first coat goes on as it's patchy!
A
                     
                   
                             A second coat makes all the difference you can really see the depth of the colour now in the photo below a nice feeling, especially when you are relieved you like the colour!
                        Couldn't wait to see the back of the stained doors. 
                         They looked hideous yellow, but all ready for
                          cream top coat, no going back now!

   
At this stage wasn't sure if I had done the right thing painting the doors?


       Now to the back deck! I come on and off the boat at the stern so was heartily sick of seeing how tatty it all looked. You can see how damaged the back rail was, all the joints split and the pegs holding it together all rotten.
           

   
 Mark being the miracle worker he is, took away the back rail and brought it back looking brand spanking new. I couldn't believe it was the same rail, it has never looked this good all the time I have had the boat! Truly grateful for his hard work.Thanks, Scooby x

                          As Mark had done such a great job on the rail it was only fair that I should revamp the stern patio furniture....
                                         and the back deck boards.
      The back deck looking all spic and span! 

 






                Scruffy old back door.




                




The back door now cream too. I am pleased with the decision to paint the doors it makes a nice change. It brightens up the green and compliments the roof.







Nice clean cream roof with mushrooms painted green.










So Tickety Boo at the stage I had to stop painting. She looks clean and neat so I am very happy with my progress! A few more top coats next spring and her graphics applied I will have the smart boat I dreamed of, then the fun can begin enjoying taking her out again!





These two have watched my every move while doing the boat like they were supervising to make sure I was doing a good job of our home! They have been so good.




                Just a few finishing touches...the seahorse is a gift my Son Dean bought me when he was around 12 it has been on the inside of the stern door in my bedroom so I decided it would be nice to paint it green and have it on my new cream door on the outside. A new brass handle to pull the door shut and all done....for now!


               I think he finishes off the back door nicely.



                   
  
I can now relax in my cosy boat for Winter. I like the decor indoors but have plans for a complete change next year....I don't think Kit and Pixie mind what colour the decor is they are quite at home on board and they have made the boat even more of a home for me! Apart from the back rail and some grinding on the stern steps that Mark did, I am proud to say I did all the work myself, my aching bones and none existent nails are testimony to that!!



                 Watch this space.....

5 comments:

Carol said...

What an amazing transformation, well done you!

Jennie said...

I take my hat off to you Debbie - you have done an amazing job and I love the seahorse. Jennie, nb Tentatrice

Alf said...

A fabulous job very well done, well worth the effort !

Sally Ellis said...

Fantastic job.Looks wonderful.

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

That is an amazing paint job that you have done! And your interior looks very lovely too - cottagey and spacious with the light colours.

Well done, you!

Cheers, Marilyn (nb Waka Huia)