Saturday, July 08, 2023

Happiness Tinged With Sadness..

 In my last post, I told you all about the new phase in our lives.

Al and I are settling in nicely on Tickety Boo and the marina where she is moored is lovely. Unfortunately, I have recently lost another close friend who played a huge part at the Marina.

Mark was one of a kind and the mold was definitely broken once he was made! He was a once-in-a-lifetime character. Slightly bonkers, unique, funny, stubborn, wacky sense of humor with a heart of absolute gold.

He was taken suddenly totally out of the blue and if I am being honest I am still reeling from the shock, and finding it hard to accept he has gone. We go way back and at one time we were an item but we both very soon realized we would never make it as a couple and we were far better as close friends and we were. We could go weeks or even months not seeing or hearing from each other but always picked up where we left off.

Mark was really happy for Al and me and he was pleased to see me settled with someone at long last! He had lots of girlfriends but never managed to settle down, his first loves were his family, boat, and his dog. Sadly he had recently had his dream boat built and he had so many plans for the future I find it incredibly sad that he never got to see those plans through.

The Marina holds so many memories of Mark, everywhere you look his handiwork is evident, he loved working at the Marina and was always about with a cheery wave and that mischievous grin! I know he is missed by us all.

Mark always gave everybody a nickname, mine was Dooey short for Debbie Dolittle, he thought that was hilarious, me not so much but it grew on me! I got my own back by giving him the nickname Scooby, he just reminded me of the gangly cartoon character all legs and goofiness. Alan didn't get away with it either Mark called him Haircut as he always has his hair neatly cut.

Mark's woodworking skills were excellent he took pride in his work and it shows. He made a lovely cratch frame for Tickety Boo and made it exactly as I asked. I am really happy we have that to remember him by.

The Marina will never be the same again but when we chat about Mark with other boaters it always makes us smile remembering him. I will miss him a lot as we all will. More than anything I will miss his voice bellowing Doooooooeeeeey over the Marina!

The only thing that gives me some comfort in losing my friend at such a young age is that he packed so much into his short life, more than most people do living to a ripe old age. Mark will always be remembered forever young and full of beans taking the micky out of people but not in a nasty way.

I am in touch with Marks's Mum and Dad on a regular basis and as you can imagine they are devastated but we often laugh at memories of him we recall. My heart goes out to them.

I have lots of fond memories of my wacky friend and I know for certain he wouldn't want any of us to be sad he would tell us we were being silly buggers!  As time passes the sadness will lift but he will never ever be forgotten...




  

RIP Scooby xxx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely words Debbie the marina is not the same without him xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Debs, please accept my condolences on the loss of your Scooby Mark. I hope in some future blogs you can share the things with us that your memories will throw out at you. I’m a firm believer that we pass twice. Once is our human passing and second is when our name is no longer spoken. And sharing memories keep those we care about alive forever. Sending you and Alan a warm hug. I’m so glad you have him in times of sorrow. Hugs 🤗 Judy

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

I am deeply sorry for your loss my dear friend. Those who are remembered, live. Mark's memory ricochets around the marina. May his memory be ablessing, and may his soul rise injoy and rest in peace. Jaq Xxx

life afloat on nb tickety boo said...

Thank you so much for leaving your comments it means a lot xxx